What methods and techniques will you use to develop the final concept? What prototype will you develop?
I believe these questions can be answered together.
As it can be seen in this blog post, we are using 3D printing in order to create the outer shell of our media controller device. This device will be placed on the handlebar of the bike, will communicate with the smartphone it’s paired with and will act as a controller for your media, mostly while you are biking.
We are using the LightBlue Bean (LBB) in order to communicate with the smartphone via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). A more detailed blog post can be found here.
I have made an online survey to test our concept and product with the target group.
I have asked mostly questions about the problem but I have also asked questions about the price.So mostly general/important questions that contain the information we needed in order to make changes to the product or to have a more in depth view.
We received 34 answers in total
Those are the results:
In conslusion: most people do have a bike, most people do not feel safe to use the phone while biking, most people chose the cheapest price, most people do listen to music while biking, most people do use their phone as a music device, most people feel uncomfortable to use their phone while biking espiecially when the weather it’s not good and most people chose that they would like such a product that can solve all those problems.
This survey has helped us to improve our concept and idea.
The target audience it’s one of the most important aspects in the market but how to define it?
- Well first think about your product and what benefits it gives, in our case it offers a modern system, it’s easy to use, it’s safe, it’s portable and detachable.
Understand the problems that you want to solve.In our case usability,safety,making biking while using your phone easier,accessibility.
2.Choose the specific demographic aspects
- Income level
- Education level
- Marital or family status
- Ethnic background
3.Choose the psychological aspects
- Are there enough people who fit my criteria?
- Will my target really benefit from my product/service? Will they see a need for it?
- Do I understand what drives my target to make decisions?
- Can they afford my product/service?
- Can I reach them with my message? Are they easily accessible?
- Are they open to new ideas?
- How to reach them?
- To whom will these problems be most troublesome?
- Who will have the most to lose by not dealing with these issues?
- Where to find this target group?
5.Make a persona if needed.
https://app.xtensio.com/folio/m93pya7v (here is a persona that I created)
Also don’t break down your target to far, try to reach as many people as possible and to find how to attract them.
6.Think about your market and your comapany
- Do you have particular areas of expertise?
- Do you have unique knowledge of a specific geographical area?
- Are you better at getting on with certain types of people?
Our product has a wide range for the target group like people that are travelling while using their phone, people that prefer safety, people that just use their bikes casually.The age could go from 14-80, the country,gender,ethnicity wouldn’t be a problem.More likely it’s people that are open to new ideas and willing to try a product that could fix their problems.
After defining our target group it’s much easier to figure out which media it’s the best to use,how to reach them and also test your product on the target group,make interviews,make surveys,etc.